Monday 2 November 2009

...he believed nothing in life couldn't be overcome by a white tablecloth and a glass of Champagne


I just read the best quote about a late, well-known British creative: "[he] was a man who believed nothing in life couldn't be overcome by a white tablecloth and a glass of Champagne."

The British stiff upper lip, especially popular in times of doubt and depression, is well known, but when it comes to droll witticisms, the Brits aren't the only ones with a tongue in their cheek.

The great American originals Dorothy Parker and Diana Vreeland are two of my favourite demiurges.

Here are just a few of the fabulous words the respective writer and Harper's Bazaar editor uttered.

Dorothy Parker

Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
I like to have a martini,
two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

Diana Vreeland

Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal.

Pink is the navy blue of India.

The only real elegance is in the mind; if you've got that, the rest really comes from it.

What do I think about the way most people dress? Most people are not something one thinks about.

No comments:

Post a Comment